Welcome to the Audio Drama Talk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will be able to interact with the producers of the best audio dramas on the internet. This community is a way for the listeners to provide feedback, find new shows, encourage future ideas, create your own, or just talk to other people who enjoy audio drama as much as yourself! To register sign up with a user name then Email me your username so I can get you approved And it's absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact me. ~ Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

Go Back   Audio Drama Talk > Audio Drama Talk > Radio Drama
Radio Drama The Spot to talk about currrent and classic shows on traditional radio.

FORT LARAMIE_OTR AD western- Internet Archive HQ
Old 01-05-2012   #1
Bill Hollweg
Barbarian in need of Ale

Bill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud of
Talking FORT LARAMIE_OTR AD western- Internet Archive HQ

FORT LARAMIE

http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_...d_Fort_Laramie

Dl for all eps:

http://www.archive.org/download/OTRR...r2_CD_1of1.zip

and single ep DL:

http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_...aramie_Singles

Fort Laramie opened with "Specially transcribed tales of the dark and tragic ground of the wild frontier. The saga of fighting men who rode the rim of empire and the dramatic story of Lee Quince, Captain of Cavalry".

When Norman Macdonnell created Fort Laramie in late 1955, he made it clear to his writers that historical accuracy was essential to the integrity of the series. Correct geographic names, authentic Indian practices, military terminology, and utilizing actual names of the original buildings of the real fort, was insisted upon. So when the radio characters referred to the sutler's store (which is what the trading post was called prior to 1870), the surgeon's quarters, Old Bedlam (the officers' quarters) or the old bakery, they were naming actual structures in the original fort.

While Macdonnell planned to use the same writers, soundmen, and supporting actors in Fort Laramie that he relied upon in Gunsmoke, he naturally picked different leads. Heading up the cast was a 39 year old, Canadian-born actor with a long history in broadcasting and the movies, Raymond Burr. He had begun his career in 1939, alternating between the stage and radio. He turned to Hollywood, and from 1946 until he got the part of Captain Lee Quince in Fort Laramie in 1956, he had appeared in thirty-seven films. A few were excellent (Rear Window, The Blue Gardenia) some were average (Walk a Crooked Mile, A Place in the Sun) but many were plain awful (Bride of Vengeance, Red Light, and Abandoned).

With Burr in the lead, Macdonnell selected two supporting players: Vic Perrin as "Sgt. Goerss" and Jack Moyles as "Major Daggett", the commanding officer of the post. (The original Fort Laramie usually had a Lieutenant Colonel as the C.O. but Macdonnell probably preferred a shorter military title.) Perrin, a 40 year old veteran radio actor had been in countless productions, but had achieved name recognition only on The Zane Grey Show where he played the lead, "Tex Thorne." Jack Moyles was also a busy radio actor, having started in 1935 in Hawthorne House, with later major roles in Romance, Twelve Players, Night Editor as well as the lead in A Man Called Jordan. From 1947 to 1948 he was a regular in The Adventures of Philip Marlowe, which Norman Macdonnell directed, although this may not have been their first association.

By the mid-1950s when Fort Laramie began, most of the actors on the west coast were doing some television and movie work so the program was rehearsed and taped for transcription during the evening. Once a week the cast and crew gathered at CBS Studio One in Hollywood to tape the show. In 1956 this was the last radio production studio in use in California. The series debuted on January 22, 1956 with an episode entitled "Playing Indian."

Fort Laramie aired forty one episodes from January 22, 1956 to October 28, 1956. An audition episode was recorded on July 25, 1955.

Planet of the Apes & B-POTA/Saga of the Grog & Gryphon/2109: Black Sun Rising/Battlestar Galactica/Conan: Queen of the Black Coast/Kolchak the Nightstalker/OTR Swag Cast
& Writer for EFNY

and one of the founding members of BrokenSea Audio
http://www.brokensea.com
http://www.archive.org/details/Conan...dFullCastAudio

Last edited by Bill Hollweg; 04-02-2012 at 05:34 AM..

Old 04-02-2012   #2
Bill Hollweg
Barbarian in need of Ale

Bill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud of

boosting this as I was relistening this weekend

Planet of the Apes & B-POTA/Saga of the Grog & Gryphon/2109: Black Sun Rising/Battlestar Galactica/Conan: Queen of the Black Coast/Kolchak the Nightstalker/OTR Swag Cast
& Writer for EFNY

Old 04-02-2012   #3
storiesbysteve
Audiofile

storiesbysteve will become famous soon enough

Leave it to a Texan to post the Westerns! OK, I'll give Fort a listen. I appreciate the background info on it. I liked where it said it was historically accurate. That's very cool in my book. It's not hard to use real place names and the real history often makes a better story than the fictional. I'll listen to FL just because it tries to capture the real history. Many thanks!

I'm intrigued by the possibilities of sound effects in modern Western audio dramas. Everything from guns to horses to railroad and Indian sounds could be separated into left and right speakers for realism. You could tell an actual historical story too.

I'd like to do an audio drama about the Ping Yang School bombing that happened in our area. I've written a documented account of the bombings and it would be great to do an audio drama about it. Ah, for a few more hours in a day and a few more years in a life!!

Old 04-03-2012   #4
Bill Hollweg
Barbarian in need of Ale

As they say- no time like the present.

Quote:
I'd like to do an audio drama about the Ping Yang School bombing that happened in our area. I've written a documented account of the bombings and it would be great to do an audio drama about it. Ah, for a few more hours in a day and a few more years in a life!!
;-)

Seth Adam Sher from Colonioal and Pendant Audio - got me hooked on FL actually- a year or 2 ago.

And Raymond Burr is just COOL.

Weird thing is- I'm not that big of a western fan. I'll watch the occasional Clint Eastwood movie or the Duke now and again, I hate country music for the most part, and yet loved this series of OTR. One of these days I'm gonna take the plunge and heed Lothar's recommendation listen to Gunsmoke.

& Writer for EFNY

Old 04-04-2012   #5
storiesbysteve
Audiofile

storiesbysteve will become famous soon enough

Today I took a drive and listened to some old Nightfalls. I had my autistic client with me. He did not like Gerald at all. But he loved In the Name of the Father. We also listened to Fantastic 4 and the Dr. Doom shows.

It's an fun and easy "retirement job" for me to be able to go on long drives with people and entertain them with audio dramas and OTR. We have driven thousands of miles and listened to hundreds of hours of great audio drama. Meanwhile, he's been able to get out into the community and really be part of it. We go to all the historical sites and he can tell you something about the history of every small town in our County.

Has anyone listened to the Black Mass recordings from Berkeley in the early 60's? They use a Catholic Mass played backwards to intro many of their shows. Excellent, groundbreaking work for the early 60's. Very "dark". I do not play it for clients. To them, it sounds "real".