Welcome to the Audio Drama Talk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will be able to interact with the producers of the best audio dramas on the internet. This community is a way for the listeners to provide feedback, find new shows, encourage future ideas, create your own, or just talk to other people who enjoy audio drama as much as yourself! To register sign up with a user name then Email me your username so I can get you approved And it's absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact me. ~ Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

Go Back   Audio Drama Talk > Decoder Ring Theatre > Decoder Ring > Decoder Ring Summer
Decoder Ring Summer Home of the shows in the Decoder ring summer Showcase.

Marvellous Boxes 01 - A Demon Once Removed
Old 03-15-2012   #1
Gregg
Audiofile

Gregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant future
Default Marvellous Boxes 01 - A Demon Once Removed

The first in a six-part series from author Tim Prasil, presenting all-new anthology tales that take us on a tour of endless worlds of the imagination. This week, a remarkable new invention gives a chance for last goodbyes... but is that a blessing, or a curse? One family finds out as they meet... A Demon Once Removed.
Hear it HERE

Old 03-15-2012   #2
Lothar Tuppan
Audiofile

Lothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to behold

I really liked it! Here are some comments I made on the "What did you listen to" thread:

Quote:
This one sounds like it was written for a one-act play stage performance as some of the plot conventions follow stage logic instead of the more 'realistic' logic of film or what some people expect from modern AD... so hopefully that won't turn people off of it. I'm really looking forward the the other 5 in the season.
Too which I would add that I liked the way the thematic elements worked within the plot and the way they resolved. Nicely done for a 30 minute play without being either too blatant or too obscure.

Curious to hear what other people think about it.

And
( Click to show/hide )
Gregg doing a Rod Serling-esque intro and outro were a lot of fun as well!

Old 03-15-2012   #3
MadMikeyD
Audiofile

MadMikeyD is just really niceMadMikeyD is just really niceMadMikeyD is just really niceMadMikeyD is just really niceMadMikeyD is just really nice

I thought this episode was very good, and I'm looking forward to the next episode. Definitely got a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits vibe from it.

Just realized, aside from Deck Gibson, I haven't listened to any Showcase episodes. (Go to download now.)

Recommendations: Red Panda, Black Jack Justice, Saturday Morning Theatre, Dr. Floyd, Shade's Brigade, Doc Savage, Avengers, Jake Sampson, Lone Ranger, Night Beat, Six Shooter, Dragnet, Johnny Dollar, Box 13, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Pawn Quests, Adventures in Odyssey, Space Marshal Dylan McCade, Thrilling Adventure Hour, Action Science Theatre, Earbud Theater

Old 03-18-2012   #4
WorldsAway
Agent Ninety-Three-One

WorldsAway is just really niceWorldsAway is just really niceWorldsAway is just really niceWorldsAway is just really niceWorldsAway is just really nice

When I saw the title of the series, I was expecting more of a quirky series. This was downright creepy, at least compared to the expected genre. But really, both well written and performed

EDIT: "Quirky" wasn't the word I wanted when I wrote this, but I couldn't think of anything better. I think what I was looking for was "fantastic", or "fantastical".

Yes, I am doing NaNoWriMo this year! Click the progress bar to find out more!

Last edited by WorldsAway; 03-22-2012 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-18-2012   #5
stephensmat
Audiofile

stephensmat will become famous soon enough

Ooh, Twilight Zone style.

Gregg, can i ask, does this style of show make the stories you can tell more varied, or more constricted? Marvelous Boxes doesn't strike me as the kind of show to have romantic comedies, but you can have a new setting every week.

You've got a great cast, plenty of experience, and we all know you can write, so it's great to see variety.

Kudos on a great show.

Old 03-18-2012   #6
Gregg
Audiofile

Gregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant futureGregg has a brilliant future

I don't really do anthologies... I haven't got the knack. At all. These are Tim Prasil's sripts (Thinking in Ternary, The Crasher, Magic of the Movies).

Old 03-18-2012   #7
KitJackson67
Audiofile

KitJackson67 is just really niceKitJackson67 is just really niceKitJackson67 is just really niceKitJackson67 is just really niceKitJackson67 is just really nice

I really like this. Taste is totally subjective; different people like different things. That being said, I liked this far better than Slick Bracer. I especially liked the way the two siblings reacted to the extra time they had. Everyone learned important lessons about family and patterns in relationships, but in a very Twilight Zone context. I can't wait for the next episode.

Old 03-19-2012   #8
Solid Granite
Woof...

Solid Granite will become famous soon enoughSolid Granite will become famous soon enough

Quote:
View Post
...I liked this far better than Slick Bracer.
KitJackson, I'm with you...this series is on a whole different level from Slick "Snot" Bracer. I'm not a fan of the interim series in general, but this one has promise. I'm hopeful that it continues at the current level, and doesn't degrade to jokes about speech defects and mucus.

Old 03-19-2012   #9
Bram Kaandorp
Audio Fan

Bram Kaandorp has a spectacular aura aboutBram Kaandorp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
View Post
KitJackson, I'm with you...this series is on a whole different level from Slick "Snot" Bracer. I'm not a fan of the interim series in general, but this one has promise. I'm hopeful that it continues at the current level, and doesn't degrade to jokes about speech defects and mucus.
Well, I liked Slick Bracer, but only the first episode (the one that was re-recorded). Somehow, the original voice had much more going for it. IIRC, the original actor wasn't available, so the change was inevitable, but still, what a voice.

Old 03-19-2012   #10
Lothar Tuppan
Audiofile

Lothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to beholdLothar Tuppan is a splendid one to behold

I really like Tim Prasil's stuff (I'm especially fond of "Thinking in Ternary" which, on my recommendation, a friend of mine who teaches at a university used it for an undergrad class covering human vs. non-human consciousness)... so now I'm REALLY looking forward to the next installments!