Welcome to the Audio Drama Talk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will be able to interact with the producers of the best audio dramas on the internet. This community is a way for the listeners to provide feedback, find new shows, encourage future ideas, create your own, or just talk to other people who enjoy audio drama as much as yourself! To register sign up with a user name then Email me your username so I can get you approved And it's absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact me. ~ Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

Go Back   Audio Drama Talk > Audio Drama Open House > Darker Projects
Darker Projects the unofficial fan boards for darker projects shows.

View Poll Results: What do you think if DP returned?
More both original and fan productions 1 50.00%
More original productions 1 50.00%
More fan productions 0 0%
No more original and fan productions 0 0%
Don't know 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Future of Darker Projects
Old 03-28-2011   #1
Sdbryan88
Audio Newbie

Sdbryan88 can only hope to improve
Question Future of Darker Projects

Darker Projects Productions is one of the longest running audio drama groups in modern times. It grew out of a group of friends who loved writing Star Trek fan fiction and decided to start making their own, starting with mostly fan fiction, Doctor Who and Star Trek, but but branched out to a series of original audio dramas, mostly with a mature theme. Now, it seems to have come full circle, with Doctor Who as its only flagship, and it becomes its home.

The only criticism that bothers me is the delays. DP seemed to take extremely cruel pleasure in making its listeners wait very long while they are easily distracted by "shiny keys". A cool, fantastic series can wait months, even over a year or two while producers dally in one project after another. There are things that prove to be more maddening than being kept in the dark for releases. Most listeners won't mind if they have to wait two weeks, one month, or even three months for a new release if they are given- up front- the schedules for release. These delays I know make DP notoriously well known for its unresolved cliffhanger endings.

As of all of you know by now, there are no more releases currently at DP. I assume they have stopped production of all series by stopping releasing episodes all together, especially after the Doctor Who releases, more recently Carribean Blue ep 1, which seemingly turned out to be the one-shot episode. It is more or less like SpaceBattles.com (2000) and StickDeath.com (2005). Even I know Eric L. Busby very much, I do not want to write anything about him whether he is replaced by Jim Hamilton or he is simply drinking to death after Section 31's seemingly last episode "Prime".

So, anyone, you can freely share ideas on what DP will be like when it comes back ever again, but the question is now asked: Will there be at least any more Star Trek or Doctor Who or Byron or anything else ever coming from DP? Will there be any more fan characters appear in original series or vice versa?

Old 03-29-2011   #2
jentesal
Audio Drama Junkie

jentesal is on a distinguished road

I found Darker Projects much the way it started apparently, interest in Star Trek fan fiction with ST:Lost Frontier and then the originals like Tales from the Museum and Byron Chronicles became favorites also.

Having never produced, written, acted, or edited audiodrama, I won't judge on how much efffort it takes to produce episodes. Whether "shiny keys," real world issues with cast or tech, or whatever else stands in the way of DP producing new episodes, the last episodes posted on the site was still only 3-4 months ago. As mentioned, that's not uncommon. Don't count them out.

I won't be removing the feeds from my pod-catcher, but I'm thankful to have found AudioDramaTalk.com to find other source of quality mental movies.

Old 03-29-2011   #3
bohemianroxie
Audiofile

bohemianroxie is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what the question is..
do we think that there will be more productions or do we desire more productions of a certain type.?
I have learned not to second guess anyone or anything..
I would love to see their return and I'm sure most anyone else would.. but clearly there are other things going on of which I'm unaware.
They are an outstanding audio company and both fan and original productions would be welcomed by all.
It's hard to imagine that Byron has spoken his last chronicle.
I hope not.

Old 03-29-2011   #4
Sdbryan88
Audio Newbie

Sdbryan88 can only hope to improve

I take this as your recommendation, jentesal.

Quote:
View Post
I'm not sure what the question is..
do we think that there will be more productions or do we desire more productions of a certain type.?
I have learned not to second guess anyone or anything..
I would love to see their return and I'm sure most anyone else would.. but clearly there are other things going on of which I'm unaware.
They are an outstanding audio company and both fan and original productions would be welcomed by all.
It's hard to imagine that Byron has spoken his last chronicle.
I hope not.
The question is: Will there be at least any more Star Trek or Doctor Who or Byron or anything else ever coming from DP?

Eric was writing some more Byron according to Bill Hollweg, that means that he has NOT spoken his last chronicle, bohemianroxie. You'll find out from him soon, and when there is new when it comes, you'll know.

Old 03-29-2011   #5
jentesal
Audio Drama Junkie

jentesal is on a distinguished road

Trek fan fiction was what drew me to Darker Projects, but then I found The Byron Chronicles and Tales of the Museum. I don't produce, direct, act, or edit so I'll be the last to judge how long it takes to make quality episodes like all their episodes I have heard. Whether it is "shiny keys," real life, cast issues, technical issues, or whatever is causing this delay/hiatus/pause, I still see new episodes less than 4 months ago which you have seen is not uncommon. I for one, will keep my pod-catcher subscribed and recommend that Sdbryan88 and all that are new here like I am do what I'm doing: taste from the other flavors of quality audio artistry that are here for the sampling.

Old 03-29-2011   #6
davidg
Audiofile

davidg has a spectacular aura aboutdavidg has a spectacular aura aboutdavidg has a spectacular aura about

The thing about all these things is that they are done, .. mostly.. as a labor of love. There are donations of course and some people sell various audiodramas on cd and such but for most its the ability to do the craft that is the thrill. Therefore, little things like work and family tend to get in the way of production and deadlines and the like.

HEY!! I'd like to see most of my favorite audiodramas come out more often than they do, but I DO understand when they don't.

Old 03-29-2011   #7
hudson
Administrator

hudson has a spectacular aura abouthudson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
View Post
SNIP

Even I know Eric L. Busby very much, I do not want to write anything about him whether he is replaced by Jim Hamilton or he is simply drinking to death after Section 31's seemingly last episode "Prime".

SNIP
Sdbryan88, I have closed this thread, while we welcome your input and passion for Audio Drama and Darker Projects, it is not acceptable to talk about people in this way. This is about the 4th time I've seen this written and it amounts to a personal attack.

I know written words do not always convey the meaning as intended but I believe a couple of people have commented and it should now be clear that even if not meant, this could easily cause upset or offense.

And for the record, Darker Projects have NOT shut down and Eric Busby has NOT been replaced. He remains Executive Producer at Darker Projects and new shows will be released when they ready.

Thank you.

Michael

Closed Thread